Apple and Potato Farls
For the griddle dough
450 g ready-cooked carefu
lly mashed potato
110 g flour, plus a little extra for dusting
1 pinch salt
For the filling
½ cup of lightly cooked chopped up apples, sweetened to your liking (Approx. 2 large cooking apples uses 50gm sugar) the apple mixture should be thick and not runny.
1. For the dough: mash potatoes tho
roughly. use a potato ricer or sieve to be really fussy
2. Sift in the flour. Add
the seasoning and mix thoroughly. Bring together with your hands to make a ball.
3. Divide the dough in fo
ur and roll out one quarter into a 10- 12cm circle to about 1.5cm/ 1/3 inch thick , placing it aside on lightly floured flat tray or very flat plate.
4. On a floured surface, roll out another quarter of the dough ball to a round just a little larger than the first.
5. Pile the apple mixture o
n top of the plated dough round, leaving a border free around the edge. Using a pastry brush or your fingers, dampen the edge with a little water.
6. Put the first dough round on top of the second slightly bigger half and press the edges firmly together to form a good seal.
7. Heat a shallow, heavy-bottomed pan or griddle over a moderate heat for a few minutes. If you like you can scatter a little flour over the surface. Carefully slide the potato cake into the pan and cook for 10-15 minutes until golden.
8. Carefully turn over the farl, using your broadest “Fish slice spatula” Cook the other side for 10-15 mins.
9. Repeat the process for the remaining two quarters if your pan is not big enough to hold both doughs.
10. Carefully transfer to a plate and
serve with wedges of real butter or thick cream.
Cookery classes at Orchard Acre Farm: Irvinestown Co Fermanagh
We offer all types of modern I
rish cookery classes. So why not join Teresa and her fellow cooks at one of the many events found in our programme on the Web site .
You can even organise your own date and class to suit.
Teresa can also come to your kitchen anywhere for private lessons.
We heartily welcome; Alternative Hen Parties, Group Days Out, individual and family cooking sessions.
From as little at £35p/p, you will learn skills to go home feeling confident to rattle your own pots & pans